King Tut, the footballer Pharaoh, is the official Mascot for 2019 AFCON, underway in Egypt from...
NCS FLAGS OFF UGANDA ATHLETICS TEAM TO WORLD HALF MARATHON CHAMPIONSHIPS IN GDYNIA, POLAND
Joshua Cheptegei and Jacob Kiplimo will lead Team Uganda Athletics to the World Half Marathon Championships in Gdynia, Poland on Saturday, 17th October 2020.
World Champion Joshua Cheptegei is the new world Record Holder for the men’s 10,000m in addition to world records in the 5KM, 15KM and 5,000m.
Jacob Kiplimo only recently won the 3000m at the Wanda Diamond League meeting in Rome in a world-leading 7:26.64 to set a new Uganda National record. Prior to this, Jacob won the 5000m at the World Athletics Continental Tour meeting in Ostrava with a Personal Best of 12:48.63.
The duo are the medal favorites in Poland and will be are joined by Moses Kibet, Stephen Kissa and Abel Chebet in the men’s event, while the women’s team shall comprise of Juliet Chekwel, Doreen Chemutai, Doreen Chesang, Rachael Zena Chebet.
National Council of Sports Chairman, Dr. Donald Rukare today flagged off the team at NCS Headquarters Lugogo and cautioned the team to remain safe during the COVID19 times, keep discipline and remain clean in light of the Anti-doping rules given that Uganda is now under the international eye. Dr. Rukare also congratulated Uganda Athletics Federation for being one of the most productive National Sports Federation with a sports development programme and most importantly for the results witnessed recently in the field of play .
The Uganda Athletics Federation President, Mr. Dominic Otuchet noted that the recent successes in the sport reaffirms Athletics as the golden sport of Uganda and this is owed to the unsung heroes, the coaches that work closely with the athletes to attain outstanding performances. He further made a requested that the Government should employ and recognize the Coaches who continuously train and manage the athletes – The coaches often work on voluntary arrangement.
The NCS General Secretary, Dr. Patrick Ogwel remarked, ‘Uganda Athletics Federation is giving value for money for the government support given to it for sports development and this should be replicated to all the 51 National Sports Associations.’
Government through National Council of Sports provided a full travel expenses of the Uganda Team to Gdynia, Poland and is equally facilitating training of athletes that have qualified for the Tokyo 2021 Olympics.
TEAM UGANDA PROFILES:
• World Records: 5K, 15K, 5000M, 10,000M
• 2019 IAAF World Championships in Qatar- Gold
• 2019 IAAF World Cross Country Championships in Aarhus- Gold
• 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast- 2 Gold
• 2017 IAAF World Championships in London- Gold
• 2015 Africa U20 Championships in Addis Ababa-Gold
• 2014 IAAF World U20 Championships in Oregon-Gold
• 3000M National Record
• 2019 World Cross Country Championships in Aarhus-Silver
• 2018 World Under20 Championships in Tampere-Silver
• 2017 World Cross Country Championships (Juniors) in Kampala- Gold
• 2016 World Under20 Championships in Bydgoszcz-Bronze
• 2009 World Under20 Championships in Amman -Bronze
• 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune- Gold
• 10,000m, Half Marathon and Marathon National Record
• 2018 Commonwealth Half Marathon, Cardiff-Gold
• 2018 Commonwealth Half Marathon, Cardiff- Bronze
• 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games, Pune-Silver